Saturday, September 8, 2018

Literacy Autobiography


I reminded of an author by the name of Chris Hedges who mentions that today in the United States of America, we are currently living in two Americas as opposed to one nation. First America consists of a minority group which can differentiate what is real and what is fantasy. This group can cope with the complexity we are experiencing in this country and are determined to confront the problem head-on. The other America is the mass majority where individuals are consumed by spectacles, entertainments, and falls into the idea of magical thinking that can perhaps improve their way of living. This group lacks critical thinking and rely on pseudo-science, pseudo-intellectuals, and demagogues as their salvation.

After reading Chris Hedge’s powerful and informative book; Empire of Illusion, it helped define who I am and exposes the world we are truly living in. Prior to that, I have read numerous books on the history of Afro Black Americans, Native Indians, Workers, Women, and People of color from all race and religious beliefs. 

My personal library back home contains books from all type of subjects; from Politics, Current Events, Novels, Fiction, Non-fiction, Science, Poetry and World History. However, all this past and current readings of books might not have been possible if it wasn’t for one man I met in the mid 90’s that introduce me to politics and The REAL history of the United States of America. No, he was not a scholar, or a teacher, or a high-profile political figure. No, he was not a celebrity or a person who was financially wealthy either. This man was a former Golden Glove Boxer and a mail clerk at a company located in New York City. I remember how he just came over to my desk and handed me some books to read and afterward during the week we would sit down and discuss it during lunch hour. I was very fortunate to meet this great man in my life. Unfortunately, he passed away, but the knowledge and deep philosophical talks we had will resonate with me always.

2 comments:

John Schumacher said...

César,

It’s great that you were able to have a special connection with someone like that and it’s unfortunate that he passed away (my condolences) but I agree 110% about the first part that talks about how America has two groups (minority and majority) because that’s truly how it is. Some people are awake to what is happening and some aren’t.

Also, when you talked about someone who wrote about the REAL America, I had t very own author come to mind that a teacher showed me in high school (Howard Zinn).

- John S

prof.K said...

Cesar,
Thanks for sharing your literacy autobiography, the writing that has most influenced you and the friend who shared his treasured books and readings and took time for discussions with you about the readings that spoke to him about the nature and history of the USA. What you shared also reminds me that literacy is far more than academic and is a powerful tool for everyday life and how we shape our awareness and our actions.
Professor Knauer

El Comité-MINP 50th Anniversary - Day of Commemoration and Dialogue

In a recent article, I wrote back in August of 2020, I shared my admiration for an organization that has inspired so many of us, and their a...