Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Professor, Activist, and Community Organizer: Dr. William Guzman




In the late fall of 2019, I met Professor William Guzman at a jazz event being held in the Miller Branch Library – Cultural Arts Center, Jersey City, New Jersey. Guzman, a Professor of Pan-African and Latin America studies who once taught at NJCU is still a very active community organizer. After speaking with him briefly at the jazz event, I do not doubt that Professor Guzman has the level of knowledge and understanding of conditions that have historically affected all people of color are powerful. In my opinion, he has the tools that allow him to serve as a direct liaison to our community.
I had no idea that NJCU has made a grave mistake in letting go of a brilliant and passionate man who has given so much to the school and the local community. As I read more about Guzman’s rebuttal statement on the issue of NJCU not giving him tenure and why ultimately he resigned, I have to question the motivations of President Sue Henderson’s decision of letting him go.

It's a shame and quite honest I feel embarrassed as a student at NJCU that the board members at the university would allow this to happen.

But I guess that is the life of an activist, especially when a professor speaks truth to power and give voice to the ones who are voiceless. Speaking at the NAACP's 98th annual Freedom Fund Banquet in Bayonne where he and others were honored said the following:
“Often times when you're an activist, you’re toiling in the vineyards and it feels like you're alone. When these types of events come up, it gives the community an opportunity to recognize the work of so many people."
-William Guzman
I say thank you, Dr. Guzman, for being a real inspiration and hope that we can one day work together on continuing to educate and build a better world.

Check out his latest lecture below:


He is currently residing in the state of Texas and will be giving a talk this coming month of
February 1, 2020 at the Family Life Center, Fourth Avenue Church of Christ


No comments:

El Comité-MINP 50th Anniversary - Day of Commemoration and Dialogue

In a recent article, I wrote back in August of 2020, I shared my admiration for an organization that has inspired so many of us, and their a...